Thursday, January 8, 2015

Cutting Tags

Today I finally got down to cleaning out the clutter that had been accumulating in my room. Currently, I share a room with my older sister in my parent's house. Although it's a big room, the extra clutter of empty delivery boxes, unused outlet charger cords, the numerous pairs of shoes tossed casually beside my bed, and random paperwork, can make the space feel a lot more cramped than it needs to be. After cleaning, I decided to clean out my wardrobe as well. One of my sister's goals for 2015 was to be more mindful of the clothes she invests in, which inspired me to be more mindful of the clothes and lingerie that I invest in, too. 

This past week Helen packed up the clothes she didn't need for the California "winter" season and stored it away, leaving only what she would use in her closet. Following her example, I packed away some of my clothes into two boxes under my bed. In one box I put all of my tank tops, shorts, and summer dresses and in the second box I put a couple of heavy coats that I don't use often, my prom dress, and a short special occasion dress. Surprisingly, this cleared a lot of space in my closet! Eventually, I hope that limiting my wardrobe by season will allow me to realize what my wardrobe is actually lacking and help me improve it (which I have loads of trouble doing).

I realized I could apply this same model to my lingerie wardrobe as well! The Lingerie Addict recently posted an article titled, "5 Budget-Friendly Resolutions for A More Ethical Lingerie Drawer" which I felt touched upon some of the problems I want to work on in the next couple of months. One of my major problems is that I tend to buy a lot of cheap lingerie just because I can get a lot of it for not very much. This, however, results in either buying lingerie that falls apart in a couple of uses or lingerie that doesn't fit. 

Today as I was cleaning out my drawers, I came upon several bras that I hadn't touched since I bought them. Two bras just didn't fit. I had bought them in size 30B from Asos on sale, hoping that this would alleviate the pesky issue I have with bra straps always slipping off my shoulders. While the band size was more or less comfortable, and my straps stayed on, the cup was very obviously too small. These were impulse purchases that I should have returned, but instead I just tossed them into my drawer and somehow convinced myself to keep them. So, I came up with a one-set-per-month rule in order to encourage me to be more mindful of how I invest my money. Each month I will be choosing a set to add to my collection, keeping in mind that it should be of good quality (so I can keep it in my drawer for longer), and all of it should fit me well. I'll be posting my January set soon!

Lastly, as I finished putting everything I was keeping from both my wardrobes away, I noticed that I had clothes and lingerie sitting around unused with the purchase tags on! I had lots of fun cutting off the all these tags and look forward to getting some wear out of what I already have in my closet!

I'll keep ya'll updated!
Ale


0 comments:

Post a Comment